Considering the bizarre things that have come tumbling out of pasty white male Republicans this election cycle, I’m shocked the GOP can claim as much as one female member. And the really sad thing is, the things they’re saying simply don’t need to be said.
1. Missouri Senate candidate Todd Aiken said that, if it’s a case of “legitimate rape,” the woman’s reproductive system will shut down so she can’t get pregnant. To add the icing to the proverbial cake, Aiken accused opponent Claire McCaskill of not being very “ladylike.”
2. Then we have our own Joe “no abortion exception” Walsh, who told WGN radio that medical science had advanced so far, that an abortion to save the life of the mother was nothing more than a silly excuse. Tell that to the 1,000 U.S. women who die from childbirth complications every year.
3. Iowa Rep Steve King said he’d never heard of a girl getting pregnant from statutory rape.
4. Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith equated rape with out-of-wedlock pregnancies.
5. Wisconsin State Rep Roger Rivard told the press “some girls, they rape so easy.”
6. Which finally brings us to Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock who just said, if a woman gets pregnant from rape, it’s all part of God’s plan. Perhaps if God planned better He could have prevented the rape.
And then Republicans have the nerve to wonder why they regularly get beaten by tax and spend Democrats.
In Kane County we have some amazing Republican women. Deb Seyller, Melisa Taylor, Judy Biggert, Kay Hatcher and up and comers like Jackie Stammen (who I’d have work on my campaign any day), and Lindsey Timm of the Young Republicans to name a few.
They’re the ones who should be in charge!
So here’s my suggestion to all you GOP women out there! Stage a revolt and wrest control of your party from the idiotic old white men who have dominated it for far too long. Because as these tired old white guys continue to try and co-opt social issues that have absolutely nothing to do with being a Republican, they will keep the party on the fringes.
Real Republicans – who are supposed to believe in less government – don’t get involved in people’s bedrooms. And if the men aren’t smart enough to figure that out, then it’s time to kick ’em to the curb.