And the Smiling Conservative and I covered it all!
We agreed on the South Elgin Confederate flag kerfuffle. We disagreed on various aspect of the looming Illinois government shutdown. And we had mixed but similar feelings on the former Cook County prosecutor who suggested bringing the National Guard into the south and west sides of Chicago.
But why listen to me when you can listen for yourself!
Monday! State Senator and Congressional candidate Tom Cullerton will join us for the entire hour. Until then…
Today! The Smiling Conservative and I will tackle a number of things, including, but possibly not limited to:
- The South Elgin Confederate flag flying kerfuffle. You might be surprised what this Curmudgeonly Liberal thinks about it.
- Why do addle-minded Republicans always think that a temper tantrum is good governance? Bruce Rauner going for a government shutdown less than 200 days in office will not work out well for him or the Illinois GOP.
- Time permitting, in today’s Tribune, former Cook County First Assistant State’s Attorney Robert Milan called for the National Guard to occupy the South and West sides of Chicago. After all, it worked so well in Baghdad. I actually thought his column was satire at first!
That’s Left, Right and You, Mondays from 9 to 10 a.m. and Thursdays from 3 to 4 p.m. with the Smiling Conservative, Larry Jones, and me, the Surly Liberal, on WRMN AM1410. Don’t forget to call in at 847-931-1410.
Both the Smiling Conservative and I want to thank George Rawlinson for coming up with a great show idea! So today we did our independently hand-craft Top Ten Most Effective Local-ish Politician list. And there were some fascinating surprises.
Oh! And by the way, we love it when listeners come up with interesting show ideas so feel free to contact us here, on facebook, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today! Spurred on by friend of the show George Rawlinson, Larry and I will be listing our top ten effective local(ish) active Illinois politicians. And we want you to call in at 847-931-1410 with your nominations too.
We’re talking about leadership, the ability to get things done, the capacity to play well with others, and an implicit understanding of the political process and the patience to use it wisely. And our independently crafted lists have been hermetically sealed in a number 2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall’s back porch since noon yesterday.
That’s Left, Right and You, Mondays from 9 to 10 a.m. and Thursdays from 3 to 4 p.m. with the Smiling Conservative, Larry Jones, and me, the Surly Liberal, on WRMN AM1410. For all of you list lovers like me, this is the show for you! See you there!
Wow! The Smiling Conservative and I covered a lot of ground today! And those topics included:
- Will any Republican contest former LR&Y co-host Allen Skillicorn for the 66th District State Rep race
- Who will win the race to the Kane County Republican bottom – Coroner Rob Russell or Sheriff Don Kramer
- The Elgin Tower Building lawsuit was dismissed – but it might come back
- Like an end-of-the-movie Bond villain, The Longmeadow Loons strike again
- And why the Democrats are gonna win the White House in 2016 despite whomever the candidates might be
At the behest of listener George Rawlinson, on Monday Larry and I will discuss the most effective local legislators. Until then…
First, I want to thank Kane County Chief of the Specialty Courts Division, Melynda Benjamin, for coming on and being such a great co-host. She came up with some fascinating questions for our guest.
And that guest, of course, was none other than best-selling author Johann Hari who joined us all the way from London. If his book, “Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs” doesn’t get folks to seriously reconsider that prohibition futility, than nothing will.
You can find his book right here and if you have an addict in your family, work in law enforcement, are part of the court system, or you simply want to understand why the war on drugs has failed so miserably, then please read it!
The Smiling Conservative will be back on Thursday when we’ll be talking about the Prevailing Wage Law, the fact that conservatives were wrong again – this time it was Illinois business startups, and why Republicans won’t be winning the White House in 2016 – and it has nothing to do with the actual candidates. Until then…
Melynda Benjamin, Chief of the Specialty Courts Division for the Kane County Public Defenders Office, will be filling in for the Smiling Conservative this morning and we’ll be interviewing best-selling author Johann Hari from London. That’s right folks! Left, Right and You is going international.
In his book, “Chasing the Scream,” not only does Johann completely reframe the notion of addiction, but he describes how the war on drugs only makes it so much worse. He might just have the answer to our collar county heroin epidemic too!
That’s Left, Right and You, Mondays from 9 to 10 a.m. and Thursdays from 3 to 4 p.m. with the Smiling Conservative, Larry Jones, and me, the Surly Liberal, on WRMN AM1410. You don’t wanna miss this one folks!